Happy Summer Time!
Flowers are blooming and the bees are buzzing. It is a beautiful (and hot) time of year and the bees love this weather and all of the blossoms it brings. The first harvest of the year is always orange blossom honey. Harvest takes place at our facility located on the apiary (we do everything in-house). The caps will be cut off the comb and then the honey is centrifuged out. It will then be pumped into a settling tank where the golden goodness waits to be bottled into a jar. After the honey has been extracted we will take the frames full of comb and place them back on the bee boxes for the bees to eat the remaining honey and repair the comb. Keep an eye out on our Instagram pages (@purehoneyca and @henrysbullfrogbees), we will post videos and pictures of the extraction process.
We have a lot of people ask why we do not sell honey comb? It takes seven pounds of honey to make just one pound of wax/comb. It is a lot of work and energy for the bees to start over and form a new frame of wax. Bees already have a lot of work to begin with and are dying in alarming rates. We try to make it easier on them by not extracting the comb and only extracting excess honey they make.
RECIPE OF THE MONTH THE BEES KNEES:
- 1 cup of Pure Wild Flower Honey
- 1 cup boiling water
- Mix in saucepan until honey is completely dissolved. Let cool.
- 2 oz. Gin (We like Caledonia Sprits Barr Hill because they are bee friendly. Available at Nugget Markets)
- 1oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¾ oz. Honey syrup
Enjoy the Bees Knees Cocktail and drink responsibly
WE ARE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE YOU CAN NOW FIND PURE HONEY AT:
- A Well Stocked Home (Woodland)
- Local Inspirations (Woodland)
- The Nest (Woodland)
- The Bee Gal Shoppe (Auburn)
- Double “R” Ranch (Winters)
- Strawberry Patch (Woodland).
NOW USING PURE HONEY ON THEIR MENUS:
- The Davis Creamery - Fig, Goat Cheese, and Pure Honey Ice Cream
- Buckhorn Steak House - Bees Knees Cocktail
- Father Paddy’s – Habanero Infused Honey Shrimp
- Park Winters – Variety of dishes
- Putah Creek Cafe - Au Natural Mule
FARMERS MARKET LOCATIONS:
- Davis Farmers Market – Saturday + Wednesday
- Napa Farmers Market - Saturday
- Bodega Bay Farmers Market - Sunday
CURRENT AND UP-COMING EVENTS:
- Yolo County Fair Opening Night Gala - https://www.yolocountyfair.net/p/the-fair/gala
- Capay Organic Tomato Festival -https://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/events/norcal/261/capay-tomato-festival
- Visit Yolo Sunflower Season - https://visityolo.com
- Davis Farmers Market - Picnic in the Park - https://www.davisfarmersmarket.org/picnic
A FRIENDLY REMINDER:
Since it has been extremely warm remember to place out a shallow sloping bowl of water for the bees. They drink water just like us!
We are offering a sweet deal for the next few weeks. Use the promo code SWEETDEALS and receive $2 off a variety of Pure Honey products.
Thank you for reading our summer blog and keeping up with us at the apiary! We hope your summer is going well!